Tuesday 2 November 2010

Hedgerow jelly



Finally remembered to ask my neighbour if I could help myself to their crab apples to make my hedgerow jelly: all the other ingredients have been lurking in the freezer since September, and we needed the space...

A combination of sloes, elderberries, blackberries, rosehips and crab apples, which produced a lot of little jars of very dark purple very sticky jelly.  There is a very definite elderberry tang to the taste, though... 

I made elderberry jam ealier in the autumn, as I couldn't resist picking them.  I knew there must be something I could do with them, and a friend told me to make jam to use as a cough remedy - dissolve one teaspoon in a mug of hot water at the first sign of a cough or cold.  But the stuff tastes so foul that nobody around here dares even sniff....

But what do I do with 8 jars of hedgerow jam with elderberry tang? 
I was going to give my neighbour a jar to say thank you, but I'm not sure now...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love reading your comments, and always reply personally if I can.