Thursday 1 March 2012

Insights

I've been reading up about procrastination lately
(and crying with laughter reading through that website - which in itself was procrastination - go figure, as they say).
 
I used to think I was perpetually "blocked" and when I wasn't blocked, I was too busy - things to do - people to feed, dogs to walk, house to clean, garden to erm, weed? anything anything, I will find a busy thing to do - just not stitching.  Mr Gonecycling finds it all a bit bemusing, and says that ever since he's known me I've always complained "I want to make something but I don't know what or where to even start".
 
(my general-purpose carry-all bag, that I've miraculously finished de-and re-constructing...)
 
But it's slowly been dawning on me (these things take a while) that I'm not perpetually blocked, I'm perpetually procrastinating, and have done my entire life.  Apparently it's something that is quite common to those with overbearing and controlling parents - ha!  Thanks Dad...
 
The reason why I have a shed-load of samples and pieces to show my students, is because I spent 10 years doing City & Guilds, and I had the deadlines to meet, but now?  Procrastinating heaven.
Partly it's a perfectionist thing (again, Father....) but mostly it's a crushing and paralysing FEAR.  Of what, I'm not sure, or I do know but haven't admitted to it....
 
(close up of bag front, for some light-relief from the introspection...)
 
But this week, since starting this no-added-sugar thing, has been a real eye-opener to just how ingrained my bad habits are.  On Monday I had a free morning, I'd finished my book experiments and my bag, and obviously didn't know what to stitch next.  Or where to start.  At all.  Previously I may have footled with some mild chore-ing until 11am, then had a piece of the weekend's cake..pootled some more, then oh look it's lunchtime, dogwalk etc....
 
But of course I can't do that now.  Oh dear.  (I hadn't realised I was that easily distracted or inclined to eat randomly - interesting, interesting...)
 
So instead of wandering into the kitchen, I had to just start SOMETHING.
 
I started with my sketchbook, and felt OH SO SILLY I just didn't know what to draw.  So I got that out of my system for starters:
 
and then started to doodle - anything, just to be doing SOMETHING

and then I got a bit bold, and added some colour


Thus inspired, I grabbed this little bit of collage I made last year, had a think and stitched a leaf (my default leaf, if you like): 
 
 
Then I stitched another two leaves on another bit of collage. 
 
 
Then I cut out bits.  And added some trailing leaves.  And next I'm going to add some handstitching and beads and whatnot.  I don't know what they're destined to be, but what's important is that I DID something new.
 
I loved the colours, and as they were just sitting on my desk still, I grabbed a bit of time later on to try another book-related experiment
 

I own several books on how to make handmade books, including one on embroidered books, but can't find any instructions anywhere for exactly HOW to attach a stitched cover - without using glue on everything.

I had a go at stitching the above to a piece of fabric-covered card, and added tapes, to pretend it was for a book with a taped/stitched spine, but I've no idea how anyone else goes about doing this!


Anyway the point is, I know it's not much, compared to what I could have achieved in the time, but it was the first time - I think ever, really - that I've been aware of how I was FEELING while I was creating. 

And doing those leaves, I felt physically sick - my stomach was churning (and not from hunger or thinking about cake!), I was fidgetty...it was horrendous.  But I carried on despite it, and I think I've made a bit of a breakthrough.

I had no idea things had got that bad, and I was that scared. 



12 comments:

  1. I love the bag! Keep it going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify totally with this post - you could have been writing about me!
    All your leaves are gorgeous, I especially like the one with the two on.
    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bag is great as are the samples. Giving up sugar becomes much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of your sketch book.

    I often feel blocked and sometimes it can really feel like a physical thing. When there are lots of demands on our time I think it is very understandable, but you do seem to have 'cracked it'.

    Hilary

    ps the Whippet X is worried you might let the dog walks slip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been so brave!!!! & you've done some lovely work ;) A sketchbook is yours & you can do ANYthing in it & there lies one of the (many) problems ;) Too much choice! I try to prioritise...& try & try. Keep being brave!

    Inspired by you I'm making more books this week...I think. I was wondering only yesterday, how people stitch thru cardboard? It must be one of the many weights of (craft) Vilene I guess ;) If I find out I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an appalling procrastinator (and had a similar-sounding father to yours - hmmm). I am always too busy or too tired or too .... This post *may* have sparked off something though1 Love your leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am mightily impressed by your perseverence... and the results. I think we are mostly all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on doing so much - lovely bag & collage leaf pieces!
    You have to keep going - your results are so worth it.
    I think most people suffer similar things at least some of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post has made me smile because I can really relate to this, I am exactly like this if I'm between projects, but once I've started something I am more focused. I love the leaves you've been working on... keep going...x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done. It's hard to face ourselves and see what is happening. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iz,

    If I wasn't reading this post on your blog, I would have sworn that I'd written the first part. I've become a huge procrastinator because I often don't know how to start.

    I like that you worked in spite of the fear and anxiety. Hopefully it will get easier with time! I'll have to try this approach, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love re- reading your older posts - its like looking in a mirror - if that makes sense - I just see myself procrastinating too lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love reading your comments, and always reply personally if I can.